The 2012 Pharma/Medical Device Segment Report, released by the Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Institute (PMMI), provides some insight into what pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers are looking for from their machinery and equipment manufacturers. According to the report, there are three key areas driving advances in pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturing and packaging machinery, based on manufacturers’ needs, including greater flexibility, cleanability, and end-of-line robotics. Key findings on pharma and medical device equipment trends were presented to attendees of the 2012 Pack Expo in Chicago.
The report discusses what manufacturers are looking from their OEMs and provides some tips for what manufactures should expect from their OEMs. Four key action areas were highlighted with bulleted lists of items each category:
1. Build easier-to-use machines
- Quick and efficient changeovers
- Intuitive diagnostics and operator interface
- Operator safety
2. Understand the complexities of validation
- Assist with equipment validation
- Supply documentation
- GMP – Good Manufacturing Practices
- Factory Acceptance Testing and validation/qualification steps (installation, operation, performance)
3. Be a Partner
- Visit the manufacturing facility
- Understand the need for specialized equipment
- Amicable to the changes needed
4. Support aging equipment
- Recommend equipment improvements
- Smarter components and communications
- Parts availability
- Safety standards
Among some of the other interesting findings are manufacturers’ top reasons for purchasing new equipment:
“New products are the No.1 reason driving pharmaceutical equipment purchases, while device-makers’ top reason is replacing aging or obsolete equipment. Combining both groups, data show that purchases to support OEE or Overall Equipment Effectiveness programs remain high on the list, at 4th place this year.”
You can find more information about the report in PackWorld, here.
If your company is in the market to sell some of its existing used machinery and equipment assets, EquipNet’s appraisal services can help determine the most accurate values. Or, if your organization is in the process of purchasing premium, pre-owned equipment, contact EquipNet to learn how we can help you through the process. Our services are designed to help both buyers and sellers maximize their experience while minimizing the time that they spend dealing with idle and surplus assets.